Politics
Local Mother Frustrated by Early Bin Collection Disruption

A mother in Riddings, Scunthorpe, expressed her frustration after her rubbish bins were collected earlier than the scheduled time of 07:00 on August 15, 2023. Fallon McMahon found herself dealing with overflowing bins containing dirty nappies, as the collection occurred around 06:45, catching many residents off guard.
Fallon reported the issue to customer services at North Lincolnshire Council. She explained, “They came early and we reported it straight away. We got an email to say they’d be with us within three working days.” Despite her efforts, the situation did not improve quickly. “I rang on Wednesday, and they said, ‘It will be another day,’ then I rang on Friday and they said they are not coming.” Ultimately, the rubbish was collected on August 27, 2023, leaving Fallon and other residents in a difficult situation.
The mother of three described the unsanitary conditions at home due to the accumulation of rubbish. “I’ve got bags of nappies on my kitchen side, food. I can’t leave it outside because it gets raided by rats,” she said. The problem, she noted, affected multiple households in her area. “It is not just me; they missed quite a few of us because they came too early. We have had mice in the rubbish.”
With the school holidays in full swing, Fallon faced added pressure. “We have rubbish in the kitchen because I can’t leave it outside. I have got a two-year-old, so you can imagine the smell in my house from nappies. It is just awful. You just have to get on with it, don’t you?”
Fallon speculated that staffing shortages might have contributed to the earlier collection time. She urged the council to communicate any changes to collection schedules in advance. “Even if they are short-staffed, they have all of our phone numbers from Council Tax and could send out a text to say, ‘Please put your bins out tonight because we are coming early in the morning,’” she suggested. “But they didn’t do any of that, and now we are just stuck with rubbish.”
In response to the incident, a spokesperson for North Lincolnshire Council confirmed the early collection. “A review of our tracking system indicates that the collection team arrived at 06:45, which was earlier than the scheduled 07:00. We have provided additional training to the crew to ensure future collections adhere to the designated schedule.” The spokesperson also noted that an additional collection was made on August 27.
Earlier this summer, the council announced a new “streamlined” system for bin collections, set to start in April 2024. Under this new system, each household will use a single large wheelie bin for all dry recycling. This change aims to simplify waste management by eliminating the need for two additional boxes currently used for paper and for glass, foil, and cans. Additionally, garden waste and food will be combined in the same bin.
As the community grapples with the recent disruptions, residents hope that improved communication and adherence to schedules will prevent similar issues in the future.
-
Entertainment1 month ago
Love Island Star Toni Laite’s Mother Expresses Disappointment Over Coupling Decision
-
Entertainment1 month ago
Woman Transforms Life with Boot Camp, Losing Nearly 9 Pounds in a Week
-
Science2 months ago
Astronomers Discover Giant Exoplanet in Star’s Dusty Surroundings
-
Lifestyle2 months ago
Bring Birds to Events and Dine with Style: Trends This Week
-
World2 months ago
Coronation Street Recasts Lily Platt Amid Dramatic Storyline
-
Entertainment4 weeks ago
Epidemic Records Launches New Track “Get Up Stand Up” by 2Moreish
-
Sports1 month ago
GAA Faces Controversial Decision on DJ Carey Before Final
-
Entertainment1 month ago
Mary Goskirk’s Injury Raises Questions in Emmerdale Episode
-
Entertainment5 days ago
Strictly Come Dancing Faces Crisis After Star’s Arrest
-
Lifestyle1 week ago
England Flags Spark Controversy This Summer: A Cultural Debate
-
Entertainment2 months ago
Bob Vylan Drops Out of European Tour with Gogol Bordello After Controversy
-
Lifestyle2 months ago
Aylesbury Committee Approves Controversial 24-Hour McDonald’s